Frank lived at 70 West End, Queensbury when he enlisted in on 8th December 1915, aged 20.  He was employed as a plush finisher.  The 1911 census records Frank living at the same address with his parents Jonathan and Mary Emma and four brothers and one sister, also living with the family were Jonathan’s brother and a lodger.  It is also known that Frank had a step brother who is recorded on his enlistment papers.

Mobilized on 22nd January 1916 Frank first joined the West Riding Regiment before transferring in April to the Machine Gun Corps (MGC).  Disembarking in France on 25th September 1916 he served with 147 Company MGC and then 143 Company.  Medical records show Frank admitted to hospital in March 1917 with a wound described as ICT foot left, he was discharged on the 4th April and rejoined his company.

On 9th August 1917 Frank was gassed, he was admitted to an Australian General (base) hospital and from there he returned to England arriving at Old Park Military Hospital Canterbury on 17th August.  During from his recovery from the gassing he spent a period of leave back in Queensbury at the start of September.

Service records for Frank seem a little confused following his release from hospital, there is some indication that he was demobilized however it appears he was deployed to the Egypt theatre of operations arriving on 28th December 1917 and serving there until he returned to the UK on 13th November 1919.  It is believed that he was demobilized on 10 December 1919.

It is unknown when Frank died, a First Award Disability form is included in his service records dated 24th January 1921 and shows that he had tuberculosis, so it is presumed that he died shortly before this date.  Frank does not have a CWGC grave and it is unknown where he is buried.

The details above are taken from Frank’s service records, surprisingly the service record for his brothers Gilbert and Ellis have also survived.

Gilbert who was three years older than Frank was a wool sorter when he enlisted on the 11th March 1916, joining 2/4th Battalion. West Riding Regiment.  Landing in France on the 9th January 1917, Gilbert served until October 1918 when he was wounded, GSW hand right, and he spent the armistice in hospital in Ripon.  After a spell of leave Gilbert served at home until demobilization on the 2nd March 1919.

Ellis who was younger than Frank was called up for service aged 18 on the 18th April 1918.  He served first in the 4th Reserve Battalion. Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry before attachment to the Devon’s serving in Ireland.  He joined his original battalion in January 1919 before transferring to the Royal Army Service Corps on the 27th May where he served as a heavy driver.  Ellis was demobilized on the 10th December 1919.