Harold attested on 7th June 1916 and was mobilized on 7th October 1916. He was a house painter and lived at 12, Nelson Street, Green Lane, Baildon, at the time of enlistment he was 32. Harold was married to Mary Jane Gregson, they had married in September 1911.
Harold had one brother and three sisters, the 1911 census records him living at 2 Derby Street, Queensbury and one of his sisters, Sarah, was still living there when Harold enlisted, his brother, George, was living at the Waggoners Inn, Ambler Thorn.
He served in the Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment) at first in the 6th Battalion and arrived in France on 14th January 1917 joining the 9th Battalion in the field on 17th January 1917.
Harold was admitted to 53 Field Ambulance on 9th January 1918 with pneumonia. He died on 10th January 1918 at 21 Casualty Clearing Station and is buried at ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, MANANCOURT (IX. C. 8).
The following items of private property were returned to Mary:
Letters, photos, cards, 2 pipes, 2 Belgian coins, knife, scissors, cap badge, numerals (Regimental), mirror (broken), wallet, pencil and 2 oval pieces of glass.