There are many books available for the battlefield tourist, below are a few that I would recommend as a good introduction. All books are available to purchase online.
- Major & Mrs Holts battlefield guide to the Somme.
- Major & Mrs Holts battlefield guide to the Ypres Salient and Passchendaele.
- Understanding the Somme 1916, an illuminating battlefield guide by Thomas Scotland and Steven Heys.
- Understanding the Ypres Salient, an illuminating battlefield guide by Thomas Scotland and Steven Heys.
- Before Endeavours Fade by Rose Coombes MBE.
If you want to focus on a specific battle, then the Battle Ground Europe books published by Pen and Sword are highly recommended.
- Serre by Jack Horsfall and Nigel Cave covers the Bradford and Leeds Pals in July 1916.
If you would like to visit the battlefields, these are my recommendations for accommodation:
Chavasse Farm, Hardecourt-aux-Bois provides two cottages sleeping 2-6 and a house sleeping up to 12. http://www.chavasseferme.co.uk
B&B No 56, Ovillers-la-Boisselle. http://www.number56.co.uk
B&B Hortensia, Rijselstraat, Ypres. http://www.bbhortensia.be